In the fall of 1938, Harry E. Oberkampf purchased the Odessa and San Angelo branches of Abilene Plumbing Supply Company, renaming them Oberkampf Plumbing Supply Company. Both store managers, J.A. Waldrop in Odessa and Melvin Bell in San Angelo, continued to lead their locations for Oberkampf.
During this period the stores sold plumbing fixtures, faucets, plumbing accessories, water heaters and wall heaters. These products were sold exclusively to plumbing contractors, which, in turn, sold and installed them to the general public.
In the mid-1960s, Waldrop and Bell each purchased their respective operations from Oberkampf. The Odessa operation then became Oberkampf Supply, Inc., eventually opening branches in Midland and Lubbock.
Throughout the history of Oberkampf Supply, four generations of the Waldrop family, which included J.A. and his son, David Sr., a grandson, Butch, and great-grandson, David Allen, have been actively involved with the company. In 2007, J.A. turned the business over to Butch, who currently owns and operates the corporation.
The original Oberkampf Supply location in Odessa.
J.A. Waldrop and Harry Oberkampf at the original location in 1938.
Four generations of Waldrop men: Butch, David Allen,
David Sr. and J.A.